Dead man denied access to his funeral after his family brought him to church without a casket

Dead man was denied access to his funeral after his family brought him to church without a casket. His body arrived sitting in a chair, instead of being in a coffin.

Che Lewis, 29, and his 54-year-old father Adlay Lewis were shot and killed in their home. The funeral took place in their home on the 25th of November.

The body of Che was driven to church on a chair in the tray of a hearse after his body was embalmed in a sitting position giving him his last open-air ride before his burial.

The bizarre funeral procession passed through Trinidad and Tobago’s capital, Port of Spain, on its way to the ceremony at St John the Evangelist Church in the town of Diego Martin.

Che was denied entry to the church by staff members who were astonished by what they saw. He was dressed in white trousers and pink suit jacket.

Photos of the dead body shows the murder victim sat outside the church on the chair in a cordoned off area, with many mourners not realising it was him, assuming he was part of the procession.

Some funeral-goers are even said to have berated the lifeless man for not wearing a face mask.

Dennie, the owner of the morgue where Che’s body was taken told Loop News: The family requested it, but it was something we had on our bucket list to do so when the request came it wasn’t foreign to us because we are aware of funerals like that abroad.

He went further to say: We had him by us for three days to monitor how he was doing in the chair before we took it public

The eccentric trend is known as extreme embalming – where bodies are preserved by injecting them with a chemical fluid which makes them totally rigid.

Extreme embalming is said to have originated in Puerto Rico in 2008 to give the deceased a more celebratory send-off.

The demand for it is ever increasing, with people paying around £2,000 to have their loved ones somewhat ‘resurrected’ before they are laid to rest.

Corpses are then forced into position by some particularly gruesome methods, such as having their feet nailed to the floor or poles erected behind their necks – and even their limbs prised apart.

Police officer Brent Batson told local media outlet Trinidad Express: We are disappointed in the reckless behaviour engaged by Dennie’s Funeral Home.

Carrying persons in a dangerous manner is an offence with a £750 penalty and the police will continue the investigation into the funeral company’s conduct on the road.

Local Catholic priests also slammed the stunt as disrespectful, and suggested parishes will now request full details of future funerals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.